Stott Pilates Intermediate Matwork with Moira Stott-Merrithew
Dec 19 2007
The Stott Pilates Intermediate DVD takes first place for its clarity and ability to teach via video, instead of being merely a follow-along session. Going without an elaborate backdrop and setting, the focus is on making sure viewers understand the pilates basic principles and how to integrate them into each and every pilates exercise.
The proper breathing cues are always given, the names of each exercise are clearly stated, transitions are smooth allowing for a seamless workout, and Moira (the founder of the Stott Pilates method) herself demonstrates the movements so that you can see what flawless execution looks like.
My favorite thing: The periodic reminder of what not to do in an exercise (i.e. common mistakes.) Moira also demonstrates modifications and clearly explains when to use them.
- Pace - Fast enough to get the heart rate up - but slow enough to concentrate on the principles of each exercise
- Level - Mid to High Intermediate
- Clear breath cuing - Out of all of the videos this video is the most precise with breathing and she explains why.
- Inclusion of pilates principles - The warm-up in the beginning reviews all of the principles. Moira then pulls the principles into each exercise.
- Explanation of the goals of an exercise - Moira always explains what ideally happens in each exercise.
- What you get out of doing an exercise - The goals of each exercise are stated, whether it is muscular, building towards better posture, or building towards another exercise
- Target muscles - The Stott pilates method believes in educating their students in pilates as well as creating great workouts - this includes sharing muscular knowledge. Moira often mentions the muscles that are focused on in each exercise.
- Common errors in specific exercises - Mentioning common errors in each exercise allows for viewers to correct themselves and to prevent injury - Moira does a great job of informing the viewers constantly.
If you have not done pilates before I would recommend getting the Stott Pilates Essential Matwork before this one - it gets an A+ for informing you of what you need to know about the basics of pilates and the first level workout.
Would you like to see how this pilates DVD measures up to the other top 12? This article will reveal the top three pilates DVDs which are worth your time and money!